Finally, after literally months of planning, going over the script creating many minutely different iterations of what was essentially the same thing, we had a weekend for filming the production booked. Friday 17th June to Monday 20th June 2016. I had booked the holiday off work and so had the rest of the team. Cogs were turning.
The structure of this breakdown will be as follows; schedule, equipment and finally a brief note on post production.
MONDAY 20TH JUNE 2016
I had booked a half day from work in order to pick up the camera and lenses before heading up to the Peak District as soon as possible. I booked the camera from http://www.thekitroom.co.uk/ as they gave me the best deal for the weekend. Once home, David Blackburne picked me up and we drove to our hostel, picking up 1st AD Cameron Perry on the way.
We ended up getting to the hostel later than expected due to traffic and general laziness so were asleep at 11:30pm to wake up at 3:30am for the sunrise. For some reason, we had chosen the week with the shortest nights in the year so that made it extra fun...
There were seven film locations for the whole video, four of which were in the Peak District. Our first shot of the film can be seen below. It also happens to be one of my favourite shots which we stumbled across.
We spent the most time at our first location, probably an hour and a half, getting so many more shots than we needed because every direction looked so amazing. We moved between the four locations until around 12PM until we drove home.
Once home, we went our separate ways and rested up until around 9PM where we met up again to shoot the train station footage, and all the night scenes with the supporting actor, Dani De Vito Halevi. Personally, this was the toughest point of the shoot just because everyone was feeling so tired and unmotivated meaning our mind set was 'that'll do' rather than 'that's the one,' if that makes sense?
Tuesday 21st june 2016
The next day consisted of the Dani-David meeting seen and shots of them exploring. This was fairly straight forward as we had planned to shoot a lot of pretty travelling shots outdoors (run and gun) and record in a high frame rate to keep everything smooth.
That was pretty much it in terms of the two shoot days, now I will list the kit we used.
- Sony PXW-FS7 (Main camera)
- Canon 70D (Main BTS camera)
- Canon G7X (BTS Point and Shoot)
- Samyang 85mm F1.4
- Canon 70-200mm F2.8 Mk1
- Canon 16-35mm f2.8
- Tolkina 11-16mm f2.8
- Canon 50mm f1.4
- Canon 18-55mm F3.5 (lol)
We didn't use any microphones as there was no audio needed. In terms of lighting, all we had was two Yongnuo YN300 III light panels which are essentially cheapy panels bought on Amazon...
David produced the song using Cubase and I edited it together using Abobe Premiere CC. I was hoping to colour grade in Davinci Resolve but I had set up my timeline to use time remapping for the slow motion shots which wasn't compatible with Davinci. Instead, I just used Premiere's built in Lumetri colour program which seemed to work fine.
The intro graphics were designed in Adobe After Effects CC and there was a few shots which had some lens flares etc added in which were also done on AE.
There you have it, the first written breakdown of one of my projects. Please see below for the behind the scenes video if you enjoyed this and hopefully you will see more like it!